By Risa Levitt Kohn
This publication examines intimately the presence of priestly and Deuteronomic language and ideas within the e-book of Ezekiel. It asks: what's the nature of the connection among Ezekiel and the Priestly resource? what's the nature of the connection among Ezekiel, Deuteronomy and the Deuteronomistic background? the place does the publication of Ezekiel stand within the evolution of Israelite historical past, theology and literature-specifically, and what can Ezekiel educate us concerning the composition of the Torah?
Read or Download A New Heart and a New Soul: Ezekiel, the Exile and the Torah (JSOT Supplement) PDF
Best old testament books
This research provides the 1st research of the entire heptadically based versions of Jewish historical past from the time of the second one Temple. It bargains with "Daniel 9", the "Ethiopian e-book" of Henoch, the "Book of Jubilees", the "Qumran" texts and the testomony of Levi. distinctive person exegesis exhibits that every textual content screens anyone theology of background.
Written via an Adventist pupil of Jewish historical past, this statement solves numerous longstanding difficulties and sheds new gentle on many points of the cryptic prophecies of Daniel. clean perception is equipped concerning such questions as: no matter what occurred to Daniel's tomb? Is Michael "one of the executive princes" or is he "the first of the executive princes"?
This two-part observation argues that Chronicles, put because it is likely one of the 'historical books' within the conventional outdated testomony of the Christian church, is far misunderstood. Restored to its right place because the ultimate e-book within the canon as prepared within the order of the Hebrew Bible, it is very to be understood as a piece of theology basically directed in the direction of the long run.
- The sense of Biblical narrative II : structural analyses in the Hebrew Bible
- Be Restored. Trusting God to See Us Through
- Unveiling Revelations
- Flame of Yahweh: Sexuality in the Old Testament
Extra resources for A New Heart and a New Soul: Ezekiel, the Exile and the Torah (JSOT Supplement)
77. Kaufmann, Toledot, III, p. 538. 78. Kaufmann, Religion, pp. 434-35 (Kaufmann, Toledot, HI, p. 538). 79. See Die geschichtlichen Bticher, pp. 81-83. 80. Horst, Leviticus xvii-xxvi und Hezekiel (Colmar: Earth, 1881), pp. 96-98. 2. The State of the Question 19 in Leviticus 17-26 (the Holiness Code). 81 Following Wellhausen's lead, several scholars ignored the authorship issue altogether and attempted instead to date H on the basis of its correspondences with Ezekiel. Wellhausen contended that H forms the bridge from Ezekiel to P.
I also note where D/Dtr uses a different but synonymous expression. Where relevant, any occurrences of such vocabulary elsewhere in the HB are cited and examined. The vocabulary is divided into ten categories: Yahweh's Relationship to Israel, Covenant, Land, Social Structure, Law, Holy Days, Tabernacle/ Temple and Priesthood, Ritual, Humans, Animals and Plants and Miscellaneous. While the categorization is somewhat arbitrary, classification helps to illustrate that, in addition to common language, P and Ezekiel share many thematic concerns.
35. In Ps. 35 (MT) the term appears to denote some type of tree. But the text may be corrupt. See Propp, Exodus 1-18,discussion to Exod. 19. 42 A New Heart and a New Soul In P, n~lTN denotes an individual member of the people and is often contrasted with the ~U. mTN has the same meaning in Ezek. 22, where the "13 is to be allotted land as though he were 'like a native Israelite' (^iizr n nn mîio). —In the Eyes of the (Foreign) Nations. This expression occurs once in P (Lev. 27). It is also found in Isa.